TIME : 2 days
FEATURES : Seldom visited hut on the main divide, Rainforest, alpine meadows, views.
MAP : NZTopo50: Moana BU20 (NZMS260: Otira K33)
HOW HARD IS IT?
Not that hard, but......
You need previous experience crossing rivers, and the ability to follow your route on the map.
WHERE DO I START
Start at Aickens, 15km west of Otira
Townsend Hut: 4 bunks
So you have an enjoyable and safe time for your visit to Arthur's Pass National Park, follow the Land Safety Code:
- Choose the right trip
- Learn about the route and make sure you have the skills for it.
- Understand the weather
- It can change fast. Check the forecast and change your plans if needed.
- Pack warm clothes and extra food
- Prepare for bad weather and an unexpected night out.
- Share your plans and take ways to get help
- Telling a trusted person your trip details and taking a distress beacon can save your life.
- Take care of yourself and each other
- Eat, drink and rest, stick with your group and make decisions together.
For more information, visit www.adventuresmart.nz/land/activities/ or use the Plan My Walk system planmywalk.nz/home