Thieves breaking into vehicles
Thieves have been breaking into cars and motor-homes at various car-parks and some camp-sites along SH.73 on a regular basis (day & night). They have been stealing passports, credit cards, money, electronic devices and recreation equipment. Take your absolute valuables with you on the walks, and don't leave other valuable items in plain sight in your vehicle. Report any suspicious activity to Police '111', and note down registration plates of vehicles!
TIME : Mingha Junction - Edwards Hut 4-5 hours
FEATURES : Braided river bed, beech forest, waterfalls, possible Blue Duck sightings, alpine environment
MAP : NZTopo50: Otira BV20 (NZMS260: Otira K33)
HOW HARD IS IT?
Cross the Bealey River (above the Mingha junction), then cross the Mingha and Edwards River (the Edwards runs parallel to the Mingha to the Bealey). The marked track starts on the large tussock flat. It climbs through beech forest before descending back to the Edwards River above its gorge.
From here it is Route Only, follow the riverbed until the East Edwards junction is met. Refind the marked trail about 200 metres upstream on the East Edwards from the junction. This trail bypasses the waterfalls of the Edwards upper gorge.
Not long before Edwards Hut the trail rejoins the river, again becoming Route Only, remnants of old trail lead to the Hut which is outside the treeline.
HOW DO I GET THERE?
Walk for 1 hour from the Village, Pvt Car or Hitch-hike.
Edwards Hut: 14 bunks
So you have an enjoyable and safe time for your visit to Arthur's Pass National Park, follow the Land Safety Code:
- Choose the right trip
- Learn about the route and make sure you have the skills for it.
- Understand the weather
- It can change fast. Check the forecast and change your plans if needed.
- Pack warm clothes and extra food
- Prepare for bad weather and an unexpected night out.
- Share your plans and take ways to get help
- Telling a trusted person your trip details and taking a distress beacon can save your life.
- Take care of yourself and each other
- Eat, drink and rest, stick with your group and make decisions together.
For more information, visit www.adventuresmart.nz/land/activities/ or use the Plan My Walk system planmywalk.nz/home