Minchin Pass - Townsend Crk
TIME : 3-4 days
FEATURES : Lake, alpine pass, steep gorge, beech fringed river valleys
MAP : NZTopo50: Moana BU20, Haupiri BU21, Cass BV21 (NZMS260: Dampier L33 and Otira K33)
ROUTE GUIDES :
Minchin Pass - Townsend Creek (1.5MB)
Andrews - Poulter route (Not available!)
HOW HARD IS IT?
Only do this tramp if the rivers are low and it is not raining!
You need excellent naviagation skills, patience and endurance. Experienced, fit trampers will find this route straightforward when the rivers (particularly Townsend Creek) are low. Townsend gorge is impassable in moderate- high river levels.
Casey Hut: 12 bunks
Trust Poulter Hut: 6 bunks
Minchin Biv: 2 bunks Free (OK shelter but not that nice)
Kiwi Hut: 6 bunks
So you have an enjoyable and safe time for your visit to Arthur's Pass National Park, follow the Land Safety Code:
- Choose the right trip
- Learn about the route and make sure you have the skills for it.
- Understand the weather
- It can change fast. Check the forecast and change your plans if needed.
- Pack warm clothes and extra food
- Prepare for bad weather and an unexpected night out.
- Share your plans and take ways to get help
- Telling a trusted person your trip details and taking a distress beacon can save your life.
- Take care of yourself and each other
- Eat, drink and rest, stick with your group and make decisions together.
For more information, visit www.adventuresmart.nz/land/activities/ or use the Plan My Walk system planmywalk.nz/home