Thieves breaking into vehicles
Thieves have been breaking into cars and motor-homes at various car-parks and some camp-sites along SH.73 on a regular basis (day & night). They have been stealing passports, credit cards, money, electronic devices and recreation equipment. Take your absolute valuables with you on the walks, and don't leave other valuable items in plain sight in your vehicle. Report any suspicious activity to Police '111', and note down registration plates of vehicles!
Seven Mile Creek track washed out
Recent severe flooding of Seven Mile Creek (Taipo Valley, Dillons huts) has washed away the lower part of the tramping track leading to the Kelly Range. Travel would be dangerous if the creek is in high flow!
Carroll Hut / Kelly Range
TIME : 3 hours uphill to Carroll Hut, 7 hours to Taipo River and SH73
FEATURES : On a fine day, great views to the sea and endless mountain ranges. Alpine meadows, fault scarps. Kellys Hill
MAP : NZTopo50: Moana BU20 (NZMS260: Otira K33)
HOW HARD IS IT?
The track to Carroll Hut is steep, but well marked. There are no rivers to cross. Suitable when there is no cloud in the west.
The track to the Taipo is easy to follow in good visibility but extremely difficult in bad visibility.
HOW DO I GET THERE?
The track begins 17km west. Catch the Coast to Coast Bus from Arthur's Pass (10.30am), Pvt Car, or Hitch.
So you have an enjoyable and safe time for your visit to Arthur's Pass National Park, follow the Land Safety Code:
- Choose the right trip
- Learn about the route and make sure you have the skills for it.
- Understand the weather
- It can change fast. Check the forecast and change your plans if needed.
- Pack warm clothes and extra food
- Prepare for bad weather and an unexpected night out.
- Share your plans and take ways to get help
- Telling a trusted person your trip details and taking a distress beacon can save your life.
- Take care of yourself and each other
- Eat, drink and rest, stick with your group and make decisions together.
For more information, visit www.adventuresmart.nz/land/activities/ or use the Plan My Walk system planmywalk.nz/home