Crow Hut via Avalanche Peak
TIME : 2 days, Arthur's Pass to Crow Hut 4-6 hours, Crow Hut to Klondyke Corner 4-5 hours
CURRENT CONDITIONS : Click Here
FEATURES : Inspiring views from Avalanche Peak, alpine tops, Crow Glacier, Mt Rolleston, Braided rivers
MAP : NZTopo50: Otira BV20 (NZMS260: Otira K33, Wilberforce K34)
HOW HARD IS IT?
The ridge from Avalanche Peak to Crow Valley is narrow and exposed to wind and rain. Do not cross it in poor visibility or on windy days. It's easy to take the wrong scree route down to the Crow Valley and end up above impassable bluffs. You need good route finding skills and concentration to choose the correct route to the Crow Valley.
The Waimakariri Rivers and Crow Rivers can rise quickly after heavy rain. Be prepared to stay in Crow Hut until the river levels drop.
HOW DO I GET THERE?
Leave from the village. The track ends 10km east of here.
DOC built a new 10 bunk hut here in 2002, very flash with double glazing and good facilities. Crow Hut - Category 2
So you have an enjoyable and safe time for your visit to Arthur's Pass National Park, follow the Land Safety Code:
- Choose the right trip
- Learn about the route and make sure you have the skills for it.
- Understand the weather
- It can change fast. Check the forecast and change your plans if needed.
- Pack warm clothes and extra food
- Prepare for bad weather and an unexpected night out.
- Share your plans and take ways to get help
- Telling a trusted person your trip details and taking a distress beacon can save your life.
- Take care of yourself and each other
- Eat, drink and rest, stick with your group and make decisions together.
For more information, visit www.adventuresmart.nz/land/activities/ or use the Plan My Walk system planmywalk.nz/home