Con's Track - Mt Cassidy
TRACK GRADE: Tramping Track & Unmarked Route
WALKING TIME: 6 to 8 hours return
FEATURES: Very Steep! Rocky ridge walking, views of the village.
WARNING: Because of continuing problems (including fatalities) encountered on this route by walkers please take note of the following advise...|
- This is a long "day walk", leave early to allow for sufficient daylight hours.
- If there is a poor weather forecast do not attempt this route. If there is fog/cloud cover on the mountain turn around.
- TELL SOMEONE YOUR PLANS, and remember to let them know when you return safely.
- Do not walk alone on this route, find an appropriate partner.
- Take sufficient clothing, food, water & medical needs to be able to survive a night out in cold wet conditions. Search & Rescue activity should commence the day following your intended "out date".
- Test your cellphone in Arthur's Pass Village, if it works there, take it with you, it should work on all Village side aspects of this mountain, if you get lost or in trouble call 111.
- If you become lost, retrace your steps if possible to refind the correct route. If you cannot, find shelter (rocks, trees, tussocks), stay where you are.
- DO NOT push into the treeline too far except to seek shelter, there are large hidden cliffs, canyons and alternate ways down DO NOT exist. If you are not on the marked track (orange triangles) STOP!
- DO NOT follow streams/creeks off the mountain, many of these go over very large waterfalls or contain extensive loose rock.
- If you see searchers (helicopter, ground crews) attract attention by moving to open ground, yelling, waving bright clothing. If you are injured leave something bright in clear view near you in case you lose consciousness.
- At night you can signal towards the Village (street lights are visible) by triggering your camera flash on every hour.
LOCATION:Starts at the Punchbowl Road carpark.
DESCRIPTION: This track follows a steep crested ridge from the North side of Punchbowl creek. There are good views of Arthur's Pass Village from the bushline.
From the forest edge an unmarked route travels to the left of the rocky gullies and onto a narrow rocky ridge that climbs steeply to Mt Cassidy.
Rock fall is a constant danger. This ridge as well as being steep, has precipitous drops. This walk is not recommended as your first walk in the mountains.
PLEASE TALK TO D.O.C. Staff before you head up this way, and DO TELL SOMEONE YOUR PLAN!
So you have an enjoyable and safe time during your visit to Arthur's Pass National Park follow these 5 simple rules...
1. PLAN YOUR TRIP
Seek local knowledge and plan the route you will take and the amount of time you can reasonably expect it to take.
2. TELL SOMEONE
Tell someone your plans and leave a date to raise the alarm if you haven't returned. Visit the AdventureSmart Website to file an intentions form with someone you trust!
3. BE AWARE OF THE WEATHER
New Zealand's weather can be highly unpredictable. Check the forecast and expect weather changes. Check out the Arthur's Pass Weather Forecast here.
4. KNOW YOUR LIMITS
Challenge yourself within your physical limits and experience. Learn safe ways of rescuing others without putting yourself in danger.
5. TAKE SUFFICIENT SUPPLIES
Make sure you have enough food, clothing, equipment and emergency rations for the worst-case scenario. Take an appropriate means of communication.
For more information, visit www.adventuresmart.org.nz/land-adventures