NOTE: The new Hawdon Hut is located about 1km further upstream from the old Hawdon Hut site, just above the junction of Discovery Stream.
TIME : Hawdon Shelter - New Hawdon Hut 3.5-4 hours
FEATURES : Braided river bed, beech forest, day trip to Walker Pass
MAP : NZTopo50: Otira BV20, Cass BV21 (NZMS260: Otira K33)
HOW HARD IS IT?
The route up the riverbed to the Hawdon Hut is not marked, but is straight-forward. The Hawdon River can rise quickly after heavy rain so always be prepared to wait an extra day should the river be flowing high, or flooding.
Hawdon Hut: 20 bunks
So you have an enjoyable and safe time for your visit to Arthur's Pass National Park, follow the Land Safety Code:
- Choose the right trip
- Learn about the route and make sure you have the skills for it.
- Understand the weather
- It can change fast. Check the forecast and change your plans if needed.
- Pack warm clothes and extra food
- Prepare for bad weather and an unexpected night out.
- Share your plans and take ways to get help
- Telling a trusted person your trip details and taking a distress beacon can save your life.
- Take care of yourself and each other
- Eat, drink and rest, stick with your group and make decisions together.
For more information, visit www.adventuresmart.nz/land/activities/ or use the Plan My Walk system planmywalk.nz/home