Thieves breaking into vehicles
Thieves have been breaking into cars and motor-homes at various car-parks and some camp-sites along SH.73 on a regular basis (day & night). They have been stealing passports, credit cards, money, electronic devices and recreation equipment. Take your absolute valuables with you on the walks, and don't leave other valuable items in plain sight in your vehicle. Report any suspicious activity to Police '111', and note down registration plates of vehicles!
Kelly Range (Carroll Hut)
TRACK GRADE: Tramping Track & Unmarked Route
WALKING TIME: 2 - 3 hours to the Carroll Hut
FEATURES: Podocarp - Broadleaf forest, views down the Taramakau & Otira Valley, Alpine tarns, fault scarps, old gold mines.
MAP :Otira K33, 1:50,000 Click Here
LOCATION:Track starts at the carpark, at the end of the side road that goes in behind Kellys Creek shelter, 20km West of Arthur's Pass Village.
MAP: Click Here to open PDF File (660Kb).
DESCRIPTION: The track climbs steeply up through Rainforest, to the hut which is situated just above the scrub line.
A good base to explore further the saddle beyond the hut, with alpine tarns, alpine flowers and striking fault scarps.
Climb Kellys hill to the left of the hut for views all the way to the Tasman Sea.
So you have an enjoyable and safe time for your visit to Arthur's Pass National Park, follow the Land Safety Code:
- Choose the right trip
- Learn about the route and make sure you have the skills for it.
- Understand the weather
- It can change fast. Check the forecast and change your plans if needed.
- Pack warm clothes and extra food
- Prepare for bad weather and an unexpected night out.
- Share your plans and take ways to get help
- Telling a trusted person your trip details and taking a distress beacon can save your life.
- Take care of yourself and each other
- Eat, drink and rest, stick with your group and make decisions together.
For more information, visit www.adventuresmart.nz/land/activities/ or use the Plan My Walk system planmywalk.nz/home