ARTHUR'S PASS VILLAGE
Everything you ever wanted to know about Arthur's Pass, but were afraid to ask!
- Present Population:
- 25 odd full-time residents (the emphasis is on the odd), 59 bach owners
- Average Age:
- 34-38 y.o. (full-time residents)
- Visitors per Year:
- Estimated 250,000+
- Village Area:
- 0.6 sq.km (300m wide x 2000m long)
- Village Structures:
- 133 buildings
- Elevation ASL:
- 739m (at Visitor Centre)
- 1906 as Bealey Flat Settlement (for tunnel workers)
- Local Government & Organisations:
- Selwyn District Council
- Arthur's Pass Association (Bach Owners & Residents)
- Dept. of Conservation, Accommodation, Cafes, Restaurants, Road Construction & Maintenance, Services
- Water Supply:
- UV treated & filtered to 1 micron from Avalanche Creek (gravity fed supply)
- Sewerage Treatment:
- Most properties have private septic tanks, with some newer systems also incorporating sand filters. Sunshine Tce & Mt Bealey Rd have a communal sewerage treatment works located on Maori Flat.
- Fire Service:
- Local Volunteer Brigade (Fire / Accident)
- Rescue Service:
- Police / D.O.C. / Arthur's Pass LandSAR (APRES)
- Self Amused
- Free To Air - Satellite from Optus D1 & D2 satellites.
- Free To Air - Satellite from Optus D1. Radio National has some reception on 101.2 & 101.7 FM.
- 512 line digital exchange connected by optical fibre link to its Parent exchange in Darfield.
- Vodafone, 2 Degrees & Telecom (Digital) have Village wide coverage. Both towers are located adjacent railway yard.
- Grape Vine:
- 120% effective (20% rumour)
- Arthur's Pass School:
- Closed permanently end of 2003
- 4500mm / year (about 200 days per year)
- About 400-500cm accumulative / year
- Predominantly from Northwest (straight down valley)
- Gale force (60-160kmph) through the valley floor
- Rain Months:
- October, November, May
- 200 days of rain a year!
- Drier Months:
- January, February, March, April
- 165 days of sunshine a year!
- June to about mid October