Do not feed the Kea!
There are a number of picnic areas in, nearby or further afield from Arthur's Pass Village.
In the village itself...
- Visitor Centre car-park has a small area (1x table).
- Avalanche Creek Shelter has undercover tables & seating.
- The Weather Station opposite the Visitor Centre has a picnic table.
- There is a picnic area on the north side of AVALANCHE CREEK bridge (no tables).
- At the beginning of the Bridal Veil track is a picnic table.
- At the Bridal Veil Falls lookout (20mins up Bridal Veil track) is a picnic table.
Just outside the village...
- 1 km to the west is a unmarked (near historic road marker) 2 minute track down to the river and to DAISY FLAT (no tables, no toilets).
All DOC shelters and campgrounds are suitable for picnicing...
- To the East there is GREYNEYS (5km), KLONDYKE (8km), and HAWDON SHELTER (23km).
- Lake Pearson rest area 35km east of the Village.
- Craigieburn Shelter 40km east of the Village.
- Cave Stream Scenic Reserve 45km east of the Village.
- Remember Dogs are not allowed in the National Park!
- Do not feed the Kea!